We don't have a ‘Santa’s Naughty and Nice list’ in Singapore, but we do have quite a few names who deserve to be blacklisted by Saint Nicholas:
- Liu Tuck Yew, for trying to fob off a fare hike by dangling free Wi-Fi access selected MRT stations by the end of next year.
- Tan Chuan-Jin, for ignoring the protestions about withholding our CPF beyond age 55, and fiddling with different Minimum Sums for different groups.
- Chan Chun Sing for declaring war on the citizenry, "We must not concede the space - physical or cyber... We will have to do battle everywhere as necessary".
- Yaacob Ibrahim for lampooning Tan Pin Pin's award winning "To Singapore, With Love" as "one-sided portrayals" designed to "evoke feelings of sympathy and support for individuals".
- Lim Swee Say for palming off half a box of Din Tai Fung toothpicks in broad daylight at each visit because "this one is so fine that whatever is inside sure can come out." Assume oral cavity, not anal one.
- Khaw Boon Wan, for addressing the shortage of university places instead of affordable housing, with "You own a degree, but so what? That you can't eat it." Message being, public housing will soon be beyond reach of graudates' pay.
- Vivian Balakrishnan, for pointing skywards at the ceiling while the rats are busy colonising the burrows below at Bukit Batok MRt station.
One could easily add Intan Azura Mokhtar for endorsing Yang Yin application for residentship, Teo Ser Luck for inventing a special needs child traumatised by heckling, or Alvin Yeo for not practising what he preached in court. But the list will be too long, and our Christmas will truly be ruined. Instead, we could follow Liu Thai Ker's suggestion ("Can you use your imagination to picture a nicer scenario?") and dream of a white christmas without the rats in parliament.